Translate

Friday, July 20, 2012


Hemp A great protein


 
So when I say hemp most people think Marijuana!   No hemp does not contain THC.   To grow marijuana you have to have special seed that grows a plant high in THC, the property responsible for the drug response. Commercial hemp seed contains very low amounts, plus they contain a substance that counteracts THC.
Hemp protein is a protein found in the seed of the cannabis sativa plant. Despite its origin, hempseed does not contain psychoactive compounds and is an excellent source of protein, essential fatty acids and various nutrients. Hemp has many benefits over other protein sources. Many vegans prefer it over soy. While soy has a higher overall protein content, hemp protein is easier to digest .

Protein from hempseed contains all eight essential amino acids. Hemp protein is a source of iron, calcium, B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin E, phosphorus, zinc, manganese and copper. In addition, hemp protein is an excellent source of dietary fiber, which is important for digestive health and most American diets are  lacking in fiber.
What are the benefits of Hemp?  It is a building block for hormones and helps prevent inflammation. Hemp is therefore believed to relieve a range of health conditions, including addiction, arthritis, attention deficit disorder, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, constipation, diabetes, diarrhea, earache, edema, fatigue, immune deficiency, menopause, obesity, osteoporosis, premenstrual syndrome, tuberculosis, atherosclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. It also relieves skin conditions such as eczema, neurodermititis and psoriasis.  Wow That is a lot!
So how should you eat it?
I add it to my smoothies, yogurt,  and I also like it my cereal.  I use the protein shake above and add coconut milk to it with fruit and I like it.  I have found that I can also hide it in other foods and my kids don’t even notice it.  I like the slight nutty flavor to it.  I have not tried hemp oil yet but once I do I’ll tell you.

This looks like a great cereal that Nature’s path is coming out with.  Qi’a (pronounced KEE-ah) is our NEW Superfood Cereal made with Chia, Hemp and Buckwheat. This power trio of seeds is full of plant-based Protein, Fiber and ALA Omegas. Boost your nutrition with only 2 Tbsp. of cereal and feel the energy from these powerful, functional, and nutritious super seeds. Enjoy a blend of cinnamon raisins and green apples for delicious flavor and added nutrients.  It combines the great protein from the Hemp with the great energy from the Chia.  It also has Cinnamon to stabilize sugar levels. It sounds like a super way to start a day.

So tell me what you think.  Have you tried Hemp?

No comments:

Post a Comment